Do you want some solid weapons for the fight against sexual sin? Welcome to The Armory.
Scriptures on Sexuality: Nothing is as solid as the WORD of God. Get in the Bible to see God's heart and plan for sexuality.
- Genesis 1-3
- Psalm 51
- Proverbs 1-7
- Song of Solomon
- Matt 5:27-30
- 1 Corinthians 5-7
- Ephesians 5
- 1 Thess 4:1-11
- 1 Timothy 5:2
- Hebrews 13:4
Recommended Books: Solid resources for the fight, spend the time pouring over these.
- Sex is Not the Problem, (Lust Is) by Joshua Harris (check out the book review from TRF!)
- The Cross-Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney
- Washed & Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality by Wesley Hill
- Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault by Justin Holcomb and Lindsey Holcomb
- Closing the Window: Steps to Living Porn Free by Tim Chester
- Porn Again Christian by Mark Driscoll
- When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper (check out the book review from TRF!)
- Sexual Sanity for Men by Dave White (check out the book review from TRF!)
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ edited by John Piper & Justin Taylor (written chapters based on the main sessions of the 2004 Desiring God National Conference, see link below on top shelf sermons)
Helpful websites: There are TONS of resources, articles, books, sermons, and video content on these websites. Bookmark them.
YouTube songs and clips that will get you pumped: Watch them.
Internet Software and Tools: There are several methods for fighting for sexual purity online. Some programs block porn, others log your activity and send it to an accountability partner. No filter is perfect, but it's a helpful "speed bump" to slow you down and help to give time for conviction and repentance.
- Safe Eyes: A paid subscription filter and instant alert system
- Covenant Eyes: A paid subscription filter software.
- K9 Web Protection: Free web filtering software.
- X3Watch: A paid subscription that logs your internet activity and alerts your accountability partners once a week of any suspicious sites.
- Curbi: Designed for parents to monitor & protect their kids' mobile devices, there's an Android & iPhone app.
- Adblock Plus: removes ads on your web browser, like on the side board of Facebook.
- OpenDNS: filters all your web traffic on your wireless router. Highly recommended!
- If you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch: You will need to disable Safari and use the custom apps (for instance, X3watch) in order for the filtering to happen. Alternately, you can use the built-in adult website filtering for Safari by going to Settings>General>Restrictions>Websites>Limit Adult Content.
- Note that if you know the password for these filters, obviously you can shut it down and get around it. That defeats the purpose. So consider having a close friend know the password, or if an apartment has OpenDNS on their wireless router, have 2 roommates know half the password each!
Top shelf sermons: There are so many out there, but here's just a few of the best. Listen to them.
- How to Deal with the Guilt of Sexual Failure for the Glory of Christ and His Global Cause - by John Piper:
- Sexual Sin by Mark Driscoll
- Making All Things New: Restoring Pure Joy to the Sexually Broken by David Powlison
- The Fight by Ben Stuart (3-part series)
- Homosexuality by Ben Stuart
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ: the 2004 Desiring God National Conference full talk series
Hopefully this list is helpful to YOU. But think... who ELSE might benefit from it? Share this Armory with them! Maybe pick a book together with a group of friends who are struggling and read it together. Listen to a sermon and post it on social media. Start a Bible study with some friends on what the Bible says about sex. The resources are there. Now it's YOUR turn.
The Relentless Fight